Forum

Postgame Thoughts: ...

Notifications
Clear all

Postgame Thoughts: What’s the Deal with the Magic?

(@kieran-patel)
wpf-cross-image

Orlando, FL - Coming off an already concerning loss at home two nights ago, the Magic experienced one of the most brutal beat downs of the season on Sunday night. The Embiid-less, Harden-less, and Maxey-less Philadelphia 76ers blew out the Orlando Magic at the Amway Center, 133-103. Frustrations were felt by many around the organization last night, so let’s discuss what went into Sunday’s catastrophe.

Fans are running rampant with their takes regarding the front office, medical staff, coaching, etc. The product the fans are being shown is certainly not up to par as of recent weeks, yet there’s always a bigger picture. While it can get repetitive playing the “injuries” card with every loss, we have to understand how detrimental it is for the team’s on-court chemistry when key guys like Jalen Suggs and Wendell Carter Jr. are popping in and out of the active roster.

Prior to the game, the Magic experienced a bad omen; After being listed as questionable to return, Markelle Fultz was once again confirmed to be sidelined a couple hours prior to tip-off during Coach Mosley’s pregame media availability. Fultz’ listing occurred the day prior, giving fans a solid 12-20 hours to celebrate the possibility of Fultz’ return.

Sunday’s loss started out similar to Friday’s— a hot start that was sparked by some highlight plays by the Magic’s star players. The Magic went on multiple early runs that got the crowd going, until eventually, the young team seemingly ran out of juice. At the beginning of the 2nd quarter, the Magic gave up a quick 10-point lead to Philly thanks to careless turnovers and failure to contest. From then on, it was cake for the 76ers.

Postgame, I was able to ask Coach Mosley about the Magic’s 2nd quarter meltdown, trying to find out if Coach recalled a specific moment, play or aspect of the Magic’s play that caused a shift in momentum. 

“I think it was the turnovers. I think once they got a couple live ball turnovers that when it started to spark their momentum. (They were) getting out and getting easy transition baskets. We gotta make sure we take care of the basketball.”

The blowout loss garnered a lot of frustration from not just the fans, but the players themselves. Injured players on the bench are disengaged with the on court action. Coaches  are rubbing their heads, wondering at what point to wave the white flag. Heading into the late third quarter, the Magic were already down by nearly 30. 

At this point, there is almost no fight left in this team. A play that stood out to me as one that summed up the night was when Franz Wagner turned the ball over, and on the other end Moe Wagner got called for a blocking foul. Franz, in frustration, receives a technical foul after expressing his disdain for official Danielle Scott.

Moe Wagner spoke to the media postgame, and I asked him what the feeling was in that moment, if it was a significant play that he thinks defined the loss and exemplified the tone the Magic set. 

“I had just got my 4th on an and-1 defensive possession… Obviously you’re frustrated when you’re down 30 in the 3rd quarter and you can’t really seem to find a way to shrink that lead. I guess it was expressed in Franz getting a technical. It is what it is… I give them credit.”

Discouraged as they may be, the Magic can only get better from this point on. Tonight, we’ll see how this shorthanded young team responds to the toughest of adversity, facing the Brooklyn Nets in Barclays Center at 7:30 PM EST.

Topic starter Posted : 28/11/2022 3:08 pm
Topic Tags
Share: